Subtenant Agreement: What to Know about It?
When you are thinking about subletting your apartment, room, or house, you need to come prepared with the right subtenant agreement. But before you sublet the property, make sure that you aren’t against the law – that the legal regulations allow you to do such a thing. After all, you don’t want to violate anything just because you are trying to make sure that your property is in a good use.
Also known as subletting, subleasing is the action when the tenant is renting out his property to another person. For instance, you rent an apartment from the landlord, Mr. A. During the rental period, you find other reasons to sublet your apartment to another person. And then you meet Dave, who agrees to sublet your apartment from you.
The arrangement can be different, depending on both your deal. It can be a shared living space between you and Dave, so both of you share the rental money (which you will give to Mr. A). Or if you have to be away for a certain period of time (let’s say three months or six months) so Dave can stay in the apartment during your absence.
Some Subleasing Facts
With the subtenant agreement, you make sure that the sub-tenant (in this case, Dave) will stay true to his ends of bargain and not mess up the deal. That’s why having the agreement is crucial because you don’t want to lose the money and you definitely don’t want to end up with legal charges.
However, there are some facts that you should know:
- Since you are the main tenant, you are fully responsible for the rent payment. It’s because it is your name that is in the lease agreement with the landlords
- Subleasing may seem like a good way to get some extra money or to avoid losing yours unused. But not all people are honest so you should screen the sub-tenant very carefully
- Different states have different regulations and rules about the subleasing act. In some states, you need the landlord to know the action and to agree.
- The sub-tenant has the same rights as the main tenants.
- In most cases, most landlords don’t really mind with the subleasing action as long as they are sure that the sub-tenant is trustworthy.
Getting the Document
You may not be fully aware about the form of the agreement or how to compose one. No need to worry. We have the examples of subtenant agreement that you can use for your needs – check them below.